There are three separate surveys: Student, Teacher/Staff, and Home. Schools can choose to survey one, two, or three populations. Whereas the Teacher/Staff and Home surveys are appropriate for all grade levels, the Student survey is for grades 3-12.
The STUDENT and HOME survey window has been extended until Friday, March 6, 2015 because of weather-related school closings.
- Current Year (2014-2015) Delaware School Climate Survey:
- To ensure that the STAFF survey is administered properly, participating schools have been provided with administration directions and tips.
- Schools administering the STUDENT and/or HOME surveys should see this packet of administration directions.
- To support staff administering the ONLINE version of the DSCS to students, please see these detailed instructions which include scripted instructions and a copy of the survey. Each teacher administering the survey to students should receive a copy.
- To support staff administering the PAPER version of the DSCS to students, please see these detailed instructions which include scripted instructions and a copy of the survey. Each teacher administering the survey to students should receive a copy.
- When administering the HOME survey, we strongly encourage that schools include a signed letter with the survey to explain the purpose and procedures of the survey. Sample letters in English and Spanish have been provided for schools to send out to parents informing them of the home survey.
- Schools administering PAPER versions of the student and home surveys should include the Return Checklist in the packages with the completed surveys to Center for Disabilities Studies no later than March 2nd.
Surveys are available to be used on an annual basis. Schools are invited to participate in October, and the staff survey is administered later in the fall. Student and Home surveys are administered in January – February, and data summary reports are returned to schools in May.
Student surveys are available in two formats: a computer-scorable Scantron form OR an online survey. The student version is also available in Spanish.
Teacher/Staff surveys can only be completed on-line with a computer.
Home surveys are available in two formats: a computer-scorable Scantron form OR an online survey. It is recommended that the online survey only be used in schools where electronic correspondence is established for all families to ensure equal access. The Home version is also available in Spanish.
Are there additional resources?
Each year a workshop is held in May to support schools to understand and interpret their data reports. Schools are guided through use of the “Steps for Interpreting School Reports.”
Bear, G.G., Gaskins, C., Blank, J., & Chen, F.F. (2011). Delaware School Climate – Student: Its Factor Structure, Concurrent Validity, and Reliability. Journal of School Psychology, 49, 157-174